Friday, September 3, 2010

7S process - Steria

Pardon me - but off course I need to start this blog with an idea in HR.
HR - according to me - has a lot of scope for ideating and is one hell of a creative field. Keeping people happy and satisfied is more difficult than anything in this world. Here is one small step taken by Steria, a small IT company, which it calls as the 7 Solutions process.
It is basically aimed at making the induction process more employee-friendly.
Some of the initiatives are :
1) A new employee gets a Welcome Card signed by the HR director.
2) The new employee is introduced to People Help Desk and Computer Service Desk by an HR representative.
3) Induction kit handed over to every individual by an HR representative.

These do look like small steps but I have never heard this happening in any company till date. I always used to think that if I become an HR and have some creative freedom in an organisation then the first thing I would try and improve would be the induction. Anyone who has worked, knows the apprehension one feels when joining a new company. The new employee is in the most judgemental frame of mind and if the work environment strikes him/her as negative in those initial days - it would have long lasting implications on the respect and belonging the employee carries throughout their tenure in the organisation.

1 comment:

  1. Very true about induction..
    On my first day i had to stand in the rain for 1 hour waiting for the entry pass to be prepared. It gives a feeling that you are one of the thousands joining the company.
    After this experience whenever i have a new person joining our team, this is the first thing i make sure is taken care of.

    ReplyDelete